It is our desire that your recovery be a smooth and pleasant one. Please follow these instructions to assist in giving you the best result possible. If you have an emergency and need to get in contact with Dr. Iero after business hours, a 24-hour answering service is available. Please note that calling (713) 665-9200 during office hours will afford a faster response.
- Start your antibiotic and rinse 2 days prior to surgery. Use the rinse 3 times a day until you are done with antibiotics. If you did not receive your prescriptions on the day of your consultation, please call our office with your pharmacy information.
- Limit your diet to soft foods for the first 3 months. Do not chew hard or crunchy foods. If you cannot mash it with the back of a fork, do not eat it. For the first 2 weeks, the diet is pureed. From week 2 to week 6, the diet should be anything you can easily cut with a fork. This is a very soft diet.
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products. Using tobacco increases the risk that your body will reject the implant(s).
- Limit your physical activity, including heavy lifting and exercise, for 72 hours after surgery.
- To reduce swelling, apply ice packs on and off every 10–15 minutes. This is only beneficial during the first 12 hours after surgery. After 12 hours, a heat pack may be beneficial.
- For the first 24 hours, use a very soft toothbrush dipped in salt water (1/4 teaspoon of salt in 8 oz. of warm water).
- Do not use a WaterPik® or an electric toothbrush for 2 months after surgery.
- It is normal for gums to be sore or swollen for a few weeks after surgery.
- If you have persistent numbness, bleeding, or discomfort, please call the office.