Our faces are often the first place to show any signs of aging — this is most often because of the protein collagen. Collagen’s purpose in the body is to maintain the skin’s firmness and elasticity. As we age, this protein begins breaking down, resulting in the appearance of wrinkles, sagging or loose skin, deepening of facial lines, a decrease in facial fullness, and more. Other factors that can affect the youthful appearance of our skin include smoking, diet, sun damage, and stress. Fortunately, at Bellaire Facial, Oral & Dental Implant Surgery, we offer rhytidectomy, more commonly known as a facelift procedure.
For patients whose facial appearances have begun showing signs of aging, a facelift can restore their youthfulness. Facelifts can rejuvenate the cheeks, chin, neck, and jawline. The most common reasons that patients choose to undergo facelifts include the desire to
- Reduce deep wrinkles in the face and neck areas
- Tighten loose and sagging skin, especially around the jaws and neck
- Restore facial fullness in spots where the skin has lost its elasticity and muscle tone
While we cannot reverse the effects of aging, a facelift can help you combat them. Dr. Iero can determine if a facelift is the right treatment for you at your consultation appointment.
A facelift works by removing excess skin from the affected area and tightening the muscles. Dr. Iero will discuss the details of the procedure at your consultation appointment. Typically, you will receive either of the following:
- Mini facelift. Much like the name suggests, a mini facelift is a smaller, less involved version of a facelift. Dr. Iero will shift or remove less tissue, and it is typically intended for smaller areas of the face and neck.
- Standard facelift. A standard facelift addresses a larger area in which wrinkles or loose skin are present. Patients who have larger affected areas or are looking to have multiple areas treated, such as the neck and jowls, may need a standard facelift.
In general, both types of facelifts are performed with the use of IV or general anesthesia. Doing so allows the patient to sleep comfortably through the procedure and ensures they don’t feel any discomfort. Once the sedation has taken effect, Dr. Iero will make a few incisions — either at the hairline, around the ear, or under the chin — depending on the areas you need to have treated. He will use these incisions to reposition the tissue under the skin carefully and either, sculpt, redistribute, or remove fat. Then, he will suture the skin, removing any excess if necessary.
Facelift in Bellaire, TX
If you’ve started noticing signs of aging, such as wrinkles or sagging skin, in the facial area, please contact our office. Dr. Iero would be happy to meet with you at a consultation appointment to discuss your options, including facelifts, and your cosmetic goals. We look forward to seeing you.